A tonsil infection is inflammation of the tonsils. Tonsils are two tissues that are found on both sides of the throat. They function as defense mechanism and prevent the body from developing viral or bacterial infections before affecting the respiratory tract and other parts of the body. The tonsils have cells that trap any infections that enter the body.
Sometimes, the tonsils can become infected and cause inflammation, swelling, discomforts and pain. Tiny white spots forms on the surface of the tonsils which is sign of an infection.
Types of tonsil infections
- Recurrent tonsillitis or having several episodes of severe tonsillitis per year.
- Chronic tonsillitis is an infection that last longer than severe tonsillitis with symptoms that includes severe sore throat; halitosis or bad breath and tender lymph nodes in the neck
- Difficulty or painful swallowing
- Severe sore throat
- Fever and chills
- A scratchy-sounding voice
- Bad breath
- Tonsils that looks swollen and red
- A stiff neck
- Tonsils with white or yellow spots
- Tenderness of the jaw and neck due to swelling lymph nodes
- Irritability, poor appetite and excessive drooling in children
- Take plenty of rest and install a vaporizer or humidifier inside the room for fast healing of the condition.
- Use throat lozenges to lessen the pain due to sore throat. Avoid giving lozenges to small children to prevent the risk of choking.
- Take the prescribed pain medications to lessen the pain and the inflammation.
- Take the prescribed antibiotics to lessen the pain, the inflammation and for fast healing of the condition.
- Gargle with warm salt water to eliminate infections or bacteria and lessen the inflammation and the pain. In a cup filled with warm water, add a teaspoon of table salt, mix them well until salt is totally dissolved. Gargle the solution for at least a minute and then spit it out. Avoid swallowing the solution. Repeat the process several times every day for fast healing of the condition.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Turmeric is rich in anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that lessen the infection and the irritation caused by tonsillitis. Put ½ teaspoon turmeric and ½ teaspoon salt in a cup filled with hot water. Gargle the solution for at least in the morning and in the evening especially before going to sleep at night. Another alternative is mixing turmeric powder and a pinch of ground black pepper in a glass filled with warm milk. Drink the mixture at night for at least 2-3 days for fast healing of the condition.
- Avoid direct contact with sick people.
- Wash hands properly; avoid sharing personal belongings such as toothbrush, eating utensils with other people.
- Cover mouth especially when sneezing or coughing.
- Avoid smoking.