Hirsutism is a condition in women where there is excessive hair growth found in the face and other areas of the body. The hair is fine, thin and less visible. Sometimes, women who are suffering from hirsutism have darkened and crude hair that is found in their cheeks, chest, upper lips, inner thighs and the back. It is important to note that that 5-10% of women in the childbearing age is susceptible to this condition. This condition is due to an increased discharge of the hormone testosterone.
Causes of hirsutism
- A condition where there is excess production of androgen which is known as polycystic ovarian disease. Women with this condition experience symptoms such as weight gain, absence of menstruation or irregular menses and some infertility problems
- Cushing syndrome is a condition where there is an excess production of cortisol, which is a type of steroid hormone.
- Some changes in the level of hormone during menopause can cause growths of hair found on the upper lip, cheek and chin.
- The use of certain medications that can cause facial growth in women such as anabolic steroids, danazol and glucocorticoids.
- Tumor in the ovary or in the adrenal glands
- A family history of polycystic ovarian syndrome and some ethnic women are susceptible to hirsutism.
Symptoms of hirsutism
- There is an increased growth of hair in the upper lip, face, chest, back, cheek and around the nipples.
- Deepening of the voice and male pattern voice
- There is irregularity or complete absence of menstruation
- Acne and a recession of hair on the forehead which is an early male pattern of baldness.
- There is an increase in the size of the clitoris, a small breast size and presence of hair around the nipple and between the breasts.
- Depression and high blood pressure
- An increased muscle mass
Treatment and home remedies of hirsutism
- Take birth control pills in order to balance the hormones and counteract the effects of androgen hormones which are high in women with hirsutism.
- Certain techniques such as waxing, shaving, plucking, bleaching and electrolysis. The use of laser to remove hair is effective since it destroys the roots of the hair.
- A natural remedy such as using turmeric is effective in making coarse hair disappear. Mix a pinch of turmeric powder in milk and apply it to the face, then let it stay in place for 30 minute. After 30 minutes, wash the face.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of gram flour with a pinch of turmeric and add just enough milk to create a paste. Apply to the face and neck and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. Scrub it off using the finger tips and rinse the face using warm water. This must be done on a daily basis. After two or three months, the hair on the face and neck along with a glowing complexion.
- Drink spearmint tea which is suitable if the mild symptoms of hirsutism are present. Prepare the tea by boiling 250 milliliters of boiling water and mix a teaspoon of dried leaves and let it precipitate for 5-10 minutes.