Nasal polyps are soft, painless and non-cancerous growths that develops on the nasal passage lining or even the sinuses. They are due to chronic inflammation caused by asthma, recurrent infection, sensitivity to drugs, allergies as well as some immune conditions.
Small-sized nasal polyps do not cause symptoms, but larger growths can cause blockage of the nasal passages or cause difficulty breathing, loss of sense of smell and infections. Adults are more susceptible but it can affect anyone.
Symptoms of nasal polyps
- Persistent stuffiness
- A runny nose
- Postnasal drip
- Diminished sense of taste
- Decreased or absent sense of smell
- Pain in the upper teeth
- Sense of pressure over the forehead and face
Severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing, sudden worsening of the condition, severe swelling and severe headache with fever requires immediate medical attention.
Conditions with high risk of developing nasal polyps includes sensitivity to aspirin, asthma, allergic fungal sinusitis due to allergies to airborne fungi and cystic fibrosis.
- Get plenty of sleep every night. Give the body enough time to rest to fight off illnesses and infection fast. Take at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Another alternative is taking a break when tired.
- Use a saline solution or salt water in rinsing the nose and sinuses to lessen the inflammation in the nose and dry the mucus that cause blockage of the nasal passageways. Salt slows down the production of adiponectin of the body which is the chemical that cause inflammation.
- Steam inhalation through the nose will open the nasal passages and thin out the thick mucus secretions due to congestion. There are ways in inhaling steam such as closing all windows and doors in the bathroom and run a hot shower to create steam and inhale the steam coming from the hot shower. Another alternative is pouring boiling water in a large bowl and place a towel over the head and neck and inhale the steam from the hot water. Make sure that the towel covers the head so that steam cannot escape. Breathe deeply until the steam can be felt in the nose. Continue inhaling the steam until the water becomes cool. Essential oils can be added to the hot water to improve nasal clearing effect.
- Perform regular exercises for at least 30 minutes at 3-5 times every week for fast metabolism as well as boosting the immune system.