Some people experiences throat obstruction due to swallowing foreign objects such as fish bone or bone of a chicken which can get lodged into the throat. It can also be caused by a lump on the throat and excess mucus in the throat since they cause blockage of the passage of the throat. Throat obstruction can also cause changes in the voice or hoarseness.
Throat obstruction is not a serious problem, but it can cause discomfort, difficulty in swallowing, pain and difficulty in speaking. Obstruction caused by mucus is considered temporary and eventually subsides on its own in a few days or weeks. On the other hand, if there is a lump or growth that causes blockage of the passages, there is need to seek medical help.
Common symptoms of throat obstruction
- There are changes in the voice of the individual such as hoarseness.
- Irritation and a tickly sensation in the throat and there is a need to clear the throat frequently.
- A high pitched breathing
- Pain can be felt in the throat, abdominal area and the chest
- Severe difficulty in swallowing or the individual only sips on liquids.
- An infection in the throat that lasts for more than two weeks.
- Difficulties in breathing where there is a feeling as if the airways are blocked or obstructed.
- Color discoloration such as purplish or bluish tint on the face due to lack of oxygen.
Factors that cause obstruction of the throat
- Swallowing hard objects
- Enlarged thyroid
- Abnormal growth
Treatment and home remedies for throat obstruction
- Drink plenty of water at least 8-10 glasses every day in order to help the body stay properly hydrated and minimize infection. It is also recommended to include fresh fruits in the diet.
- Drink warm liquids such as warm water, green tea or soup. Avoid beverages that contain alcohol, caffeine and some carbonated beverages.
- Gargle using warm water since this helps in minimizing the symptoms of throat obstruction. In a glass of warm water, mix ½ teaspoon of salt and gargle the solution for 10 seconds and spit it out. This must be repeated at least 5 times every 3-4 hours every day. This helps with blockage that is caused by enlargement of the tonsils.
- Using honey can also help the body in eliminating the phlegm that causes blockage of the passage. You can utilize honey either raw or take it with white pepper at least twice every day in order to help dry up the phlegm.
- Boil a handful of eucalyptus and mint leaves. When the mixture begins to boil, remove it from the fire and drape a piece of cloth or towel over the head and inhale the vapor from the solution. It helps in drying up the phlegm that causes obstruction of the passage.