Asthma is a condition in which the airways becomes narrow and swell and produces mucus. There is difficulty in breathing and results to coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. If you want to learn how to manage the symptoms, click here.
What is lavender oil?
There is more than one type of lavender that is used for making lavender oil and the most common is Lavendula angustifolia. Only its flowers are used to make high quality lavender essential oils. Lavender oils have a relaxing, peace-inducing property that is effective for both the physical and emotional aspect. It is also used to clean skin wounds.
Lavender oil is useful in relaxing the nerves and mind as well as encourage sleep. It is also useful in relieving stress and symptoms of mild depression like depression with nervous anxiety.
Symptoms of asthma
- There is tightness of the chest, pain and shortness of breath
- There is trouble sleeping that is caused by coughing or wheezing
- Coughing and wheezing becomes severe cause by a respiratory virus like cold and flu.
Causes of asthma
Exposure to substances that causes allergies or allergens and some irritants can cause symptoms of asthma such as the following:
- A respiratory infections like the common cold
- Some airborne allergens like pollen, animal dander, mold and dust mite and air pollutants like smoke.
- Strong emotions and stress
- GERD or gastroesophageal reflex disease is a condition where the stomach acid goes back into the throat
- Some preservatives that are added to certain foods and drinks such as dried fruit, shrimp, processed potatoes, wine and beer.
- Cold air
Treatment using lavender oil
- Before applying lavender oil, smell the lavender oil and make sure that the fragrance does not make the asthma worse and will cause other allergic reactions.
- There are two ways of treating asthma by using lavender oil. First is by boiling water in a kettle and add a few drops of lavender oil, then place a towel over the head and lean over the kettle and slowly inhale the steam. A humidifier can also be helpful. Another way is apply lavender oil as a chest rub during bed time whenever the person is having trouble with breathing or congestions.
Treatment using mustard oil
Mustard oil is made by grinding the mustard seeds in extracting the oil. It is commonly used in the kitchen, but it has some medicinal uses. It is used to treat symptoms of asthma.
Steam treatment using mustard oil
- Heat water in a kettle until it boils and then mix in a few drops of mustard oil along with caraway seeds. Measurements are not necessary.
- Inhale the steam from the boiling water by keeping the head directly over the pot or kettle and breathe slowly and deeply. The steam works by dilating the bronchial tubes so that it will be easier to breathe during an asthma attack.
Using brown mustard oil for treatment
- Massage the brown mustard oil into the chest during attacks of asthma. The mustard oil increases the airflow going to the lungs during an attack of asthma.
- Mix 1 tsp. of sugar with 1 tsp. of brown mustard oil and then swallow the mixture several times a day. For the best result, consume the mixture on an empty stomach.