Phlegm is a thick substance that is secreted by the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. There is abnormal production of phlegm when the individual is currently suffering from common cold or other respiratory conditions.
Phlegm will develop in the throat after the accumulation of cough which can be due to infections or allergy in the body. Phlegm is a mucous that is usually yellow or greenish in color and it indicates the type of infection the affected person is suffering.
Causes of phlegm in the throat
- Allergic reaction to certain stimulants or irritants such as dust, animal dander and pollen
- Conditions of the throat such as strep throat and tonsillitis
- Bacterial or viral infections
- A disorder of the throat such as a deviated septum
- Eating or drinking cold food and beverages while suffering from cough and cold
- Taking birth control pills
Treatment and home remedies of phlegm in the throat
- Drink hot water mix with lemon and add a spoonful of honey in order to provide relief to the cough. Hot water helps in relaxing the throat while fluids in the water help in eliminating infections in the body.
- Heat water and add a few drops eucalyptus oil to the hot water. This produces a medicated steam that the individual should inhale in order to eliminate phlegm from the throat.
- Soak some orange slices in wine and leave it overnight. After they have been soaked, cook the oranges until very soft and then eat them. Oranges are rich source of vitamin C and the mixture helps in relaxing the throat and eliminate the phlegm.
- Combine together licorice root, black pepper, sugar crystals and dry ginger. The individual should be given a teaspoon of this mixture at least three times every day. It helps in preventing production of phlegm and minimizes the discharge.
- Another treatment is a combination of ginger, carnation, cinnamon and honey. All you have to do is put them in the grinder and place a few drops of water. Mix them well to make a paste, then add 1 tablespoon of honey. The individual should consume this paste two times every day in order to help clear the throat from phlegm.
- Boil a handful of mint leaves and eucalyptus leaves in a large pot with water. Once it reaches the boiling point, remove it from the heat. Drape a towel around the head of the individual and instruct to inhale the vapors. Take note that this helps in opening the sinuses and dries up the mucus.
- Juice an onion and lemon together, combine them together with a cup of boiling water, then add raw honey and let it cool down. Drink the whole cup in one sitting. Prepare this drink at least three times every day for t2-3 days in order to help eliminate the phlegm.