Botulism is a disease that is caused by the bacterium known as Clostridium botulinium. Botulism food poisoning happens when a toxin is consumed improperly in preserved foods. A potent neutoxin produced by the bacteria causes the disease and result to abdominal cramping, blurred or double vision, weakness of the muscles, breathing difficulties and some serious symptoms.
Some people can be affected by botulism food poisoning by eating home-canned foods or contaminated foods containing honey, corn syrup, baked potatoes and cured fish or meats. Symptoms of botulism food poisoning last for 1-2 weeks or longer and vary for each person. The symptoms appear 12-36 hours after eating the contaminated foods.
Symptoms of botulism food poisoning
- Breathing difficulties
- Double or blurred vision
- Abnormal size of the pupil or reactivity to light
- Swallowing and speaking difficulties
- Abdominal cramping and pain
- Dry mouth
- Weakness felt on both sides of the body
- Nausea without vomiting
- Paralysis on both sides of the body
- Dropping eyelids
- Difficulty in controlling the movement of the head
- Difficulty in feeding or sucking
- Hypotonicity or flaccid limbs
- Muscle weakness
- Weak cry
- If an early diagnosis of botulism food poisoning is given, the doctor will administer an antitoxin injection to lessen the complications and risk for infection. The antitoxin connects to the toxin and prevents the nerves from being damaged by the toxin.
- If the affected person has breathing difficulties, a medical ventilator is needed to minimize the effects of the toxin in the body. A tube is inserted through the nose or mouth to facilitate the passage of air and provide enough supply of oxygen to the lungs.
- Yogurt has antibacterial ingredients that eliminates bacteria in the digestive system and prevents botulism and other forms of food poisoning. Mix fenugreek seeds with yogurt and eat a tablespoon of the mixture, there is no need to chew the seeds, just swallow it. It provides relief from the stomach ache and vomiting.
- Apple cider vinegar disinfects the digestive system. Before eating any solid meals, mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water and then drink the solution. Additionally, it also prevents indigestion. Take this solution at least once every day.
- Garlic has natural antibiotic and antifungal properties which eliminates any kind of food poisoning. It eliminates bacteria in the digestive tract and minimizes stomach aches and diarrhea. Take garlic juice at least 2 times every day. Another way is to swallow a garlic clove with water at least 2 times every day.
- Massage the stomach using a mixture of soyabean oil and garlic oil after eating supper.
- Sip a cup of ginger tea after eating lunch and dinner to relieve the symptoms of heartburn and nausea. Eating raw ginger aids in the rapid digestion of food.