Uterine fibroids or myomas are non-cancerous growths in the uterus that usually develops during the childbearing years. Fibroids range as the size of seedlings which cannot be seen by the human eye and when they are abundant, they can distort and enlarge the uterus and even reach the rib cage.
Fibroids are classified based on their location. The intramural fibroids develop inside the mascular uterine wall, the submucusal fibroids swell into the uterine cavity while the sub-serosal fibroids develop outside the uterus.
Symptoms of uterine fibroids
- Pelvic pain or pressure
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Menstruation that last for more than a week
- Frequent urination
- Difficulty emptying the bladder
- Backache or pain in the legs
- Fibroids contain changes in genes that are different from the normal uterine muscle cells.
- Two hormones that stimulate the development of the uterine lining during menstrual cycle can cause development of uterine fibroids.
- Insulin-like growth factors
- Drink plenty of water and maintain normal body weight to control the level of estrogen in the body. Water is important in the proper functioning of all the organs and general health. Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water every day to make the body well hydrated, eliminate toxins in the body and prevent growth of the fibroids.
- Castor oil has ricinoleic acid with anti-inflammatory properties. Soak a piece of wool flannel and place on the abdomen and cover with plastic wrap. Place a hot water bottle or a warm compress above it and cover with a towel and leave it on for at least one hour. Repeat this procedure 3-4 times every week for a month until there is improvement in the condition. Castor oil stimulates the lymphatic and circulatory systems and increase lymphocytes to eliminate toxins.
- Consume 2 cloves of crushed garlic with warm water every day. Another alternative is taking a supplement of 500 mg every day to effectively treat fibroids.
- Milk thistle metabolizes and eliminates excess estrogen which is a reproductive hormone that releases growth factors and cause development of fibroids. Take 10-25 drops of a tincture of this herb at least 3 times every day for 3-4 months.
- Boil 3 tablespoons of dandelion root in 3 ½ cups of water for 15 minutes and let it precipitate for another 15 minutes before straining it. Drink this tea at least 3 times every day for 3 months. Dandelion detoxifies the liver and eliminates excess estrogen in the body.
- Green tea has a compound called epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG that prevents the growth of fibroid cells and lessen the severity of the symptoms. Drink at least 2-3 cups of green tea or take 2 green tea capsules every day for several months.